Some Questions to Ask?
1. Are pre-existing conditions covered?
2. Are congenital deformities or anomalies covered?
3. Are breed-specific inheritable conditions covered?
4. Many breeds are genetically or inheritably prone to specific illnesses or conditions. Boxers, Cavalier King Charles Spaniels, Dobermans and Main Coon cats have breed-specific heart-related conditions. Large breed dogs are prone to hip dysplasia.
5. Does the deductible remain the same as the pet ages or experiences an illness?
6. Are there any waiting periods after signing up for the policy?
7. Will I have to provide medical records?
8. Are second opinions covered?
9. Are elective surgeries, such as spays, neuters, or dental covered?
10. Is the insurance provider licensed to operate in your state?
11. Ask if the provider has a fee schedule or reimburses you based on actual fees charged?
12. Can you revise your policy and is there a charge for the change?
13. What is covered for routine dentistry? How often is it covered?
14. Some pets have dental problems that need to be addressed yearly or twice yearly.
15. In the event of an emergency, what is covered or not covered?
16. Emergencies can be due to negligence, such as eating chocolate, toxic plants, medications, foreign objects (blankets, toys, etc), or may just happen, such as traumatic injury while running or jumping, congestive heart failure, etc.
17. Can I use any veterinarian?
18. If I travel, and my animal needs veterinary care, is it covered? What if it is international?